Towe, Ball, Mackey, Sommerfeld & Turner, PLLP
Call for a free consultation
Toll Free:800-838-3083

What to do if you're hit by an uninsured motorist

Almost every state in America, including Montana, has a law against driving without insurance. Most require at least the minimum liability to cover other cars you may hit. Still, incidents of uninsured drivers causing accidents happen nearly every day in the state. The statistics are rather alarming: according to a 2011 study from the Insurance Research Council, one in five drivers are driving without any insurance.

Police organizations try their best to enforce insurance laws by issuing fines and using tactics as a deterrence, but some still refuse to do the right thing.

So, what can you do to shield yourself from these irresponsible drivers? One thing you can do is purchase underinsured and uninsured insurance coverage. In the event of an accident, car repairs, medical expenses, loss of wages and even pain and suffering may all be covered when the person who hits you has insufficient coverage or none at all.

Of course, not everyone has the extra money to pay every month to make up for someone else’s foolish decision to not get car insurance. So, if you find yourself involved in a wreck and the driver at fault has no coverage, you should never have to shoulder the burden of repairing your car, paying medical expenses and making up for lost wages. But what recourse, if any, do you have?

Depending on the details of your case, you may have a fair amount. A Montana attorney can look at the facts of your accident and may be able to help you file suit to get the compensation you need.

Source:, “Going Naked: How Uninsured Drivers Are Costing All Of Us Money And Putting Many Of Us At Risk [BLOG],” Scott Lewis, June 16, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information