Towe, Ball, Mackey, Sommerfeld & Turner, PLLP
Call for a free consultation
Toll Free:800-838-3083

How can I avoid paying for damage done by an uninsured motorist?

According to estimates made by the Insurance Research Council, one out of seven drivers are uninsured. Should you get hit by an uninsured motorist, you could attempt to sue them for damages. The problem is that anyone who does not have auto insurance may also not have enough money to settle the suit.

So how can you protect yourself from getting stuck with medical expenses and repair bills due to an accident with an uninsured driver? Well, you may want to look into adding an uninsured motorist component on to your auto policy.

There are two different types of this coverage. First, there is uninsured motorist property damage insurance, which provides coverage for your automobile in the event of it being struck by an uninsured driver.

The second type is uninsured motorist bodily injury insurance, which generally covers pain and suffering, funeral expenses, loss of income and medical expenses. The specific terms you can get for your policy can vary from state to state.

Both of these types of coverage are subject to payout limits, so it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with all of your policy’s details in that regard.

Uninsured motorist coverage is certainly something to consider. If you do get into an accident, it may make your recovery much easier. Unfortunately, sometimes insurance companies don’t wish to comply with the terms of their agreements.

Should you have an uninsured motorist accident claim denied, or if you are not offered the amount of compensation to which you are entitled, you may have to work at getting a proper payment. A Montana attorney, who understands how to work with insurance companies, may prove helpful when seeking fair compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information